Residency Guidance Solicitors

Do you have to live in England or Wales to get a divorce here?

  • Do you both have your permanent home in England/Wales?
  • Does your spouse have his/her permanent home in England/Wales?
  • Did you both have your last permanent home in England/Wales and one of you still lives there?
  • Are you living in England/Wales and have been living there for at least a year?
  • Are you domiciled in England/Wales and have been for at least 6 months?
  • Are you both domiciled in England/Wales but neither of you actually lives there?

If you can answer yes to at least one of the above questions then the Courts of England and Wales should be able to deal with your divorce.

This does not however mean that the Courts of England and Wales provide the best venue for your divorce and if there is a foreign element to your case it is recommended that you contact a Solicitor.

The determination of domicile is a matter of law. If you are uncertain whether you satisfy one of the above it is recommended you contact a Solicitor.

  • Jill Bulteel
      • 02920 855261
      • View profile
  • Angela Killa
      • 01267 248893
      • View profile
  • Rebecca Bates
      • 01792 525 576
      • View profile
  • Laura Venn
      • 01792 525464
      • View profile
  • Emily Brake
      • 02920 855263
      • View profile
  • Sharon Jones
      • 01267 248890
      • View profile
  • Beverley-Anne Owen
      • 01792 525 416
      • View profile
  • Claire Davies
      • 01792 529657
      • View profile