Cohabitee Disputes Solicitors

Our Family Law team have many years experience dealing with Cohabitee Disputes, when a relationship has broken down and there is no marriage or civil partnership to dissolve. We understand your rights in relation to one another.

There is a common misconception that if you have lived with your partner for a certain number of years you are a “common law spouse” and have certain rights as against your partner. In law, there is no such thing as a “common law spouse” and if your relationship breaks down you cannot rely on the matrimonial legislation that would allow married couples to claim against one another.

If you are living with your partner and your relationship breaks down it is important that you take legal advice about the claims that are available to you. You will probably want to know what will happen with the house you have been living in and you will probably have questions about your other assets. You may have children together and you might have questions about who they are going to live with and what will happen if there is a dispute about this.

Sometimes the most confusing aspect can be your legal position as a cohabitee. At JCP we offer a fixed price initial interview so that you can establish your rights and what action you can take to help resolve the situation. 


  • Jill Bulteel
      • 01443 490883
      • View profile
  • Sali Jackson-Thomas
      • 01792 525 413
      • View profile
  • Matthew Wells
      • 01792 529 650
      • View profile
  • Angela Killa
      • 01267 248893
      • View profile
  • Rebecca Heslop
      • 01792 525 576
      • View profile
  • Rachel Powell
      • 01267 248 887
      • View profile
  • Laurie Taylor
      • 01443 490881
      • View profile
  • Kelvin Evans
      • 01792 525 417
      • View profile
  • Carly Cochran
      • 01443 490885
      • View profile
  • Sharon Jones
      • 01267 248890
      • View profile
  • Sophie Marsh
      • 01792 525414
      • View profile
  • Kerry Monks
      • 01443 490880
      • View profile
  • Beverley-Anne Owen
      • 01792 525 416
      • View profile

Sali Jackson-Thomas

Matthew Wells

Jill Bulteel

Angela Killa

Laurie Taylor

Andrew Evans

Rachel Powell

Rebecca Heslop

Kelvin Evans

Beverley-Anne Owen

Sharon Jones

Kerry Monks

Carly Cochran

Sophie Marsh