The Open Job Support Scheme (now postponed)
- AuthorCatherine Almeida
The Government has planned to replace the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS known as ‘Furlough’), with the Job Support Scheme (JSS) with different rules for business which are open and for businesses which are forced to close due to government imposed lockdowns.
The JSS was supposed to start from 1 November 2020 but it has since been postponed in favour of extending the CJRS for at least another month, into November 2020, and possibly beyond.
What we know so far about the planned JSS ‘Open'
It was planned that businesses that remained open in national or local lockdowns were be able to use the Open Job Support scheme to protect jobs. The rules of this scheme were announced as follows:-
Who is eligible?
- Employees who were on the PAYE scheme on or before 23rd September 2020 (this date may change now that the JSS has been postponed)
- SME Businesses
- Large businesses will be eligible if they can show they have a reduced turnover as a result of the impact of Covid-19
- All employees regardless of whether they were previously on the Furlough Scheme
Rules of the scheme
- It was planned to run for six months
- Employees could not be made redundant or be working their redundancy notice period whilst on the scheme
- Employees must work at least 20% of their usual hours which will be paid by the employer
- The Government will pay 61.67% of the hours not worked (capped at £1,541.75 per month)
- The employer contributes 5% (capped at £125 per month) to ensure the employees receive at least 73% of their pay
- The employer is able to top up this 5% at their own discretion
- NICS and pensions contributions will still be expected to be paid by the employer
- Each claim period is a minimum of 7 days
- Training can take place in non-working hours
How to claim
- To be confirmed
Similar to the Furlough Scheme, agreement must be obtained by the employee if you wish to place them on the Open Job Support Scheme. The HR Services team will have letters available to inform employees of this change.
Please note, this note based on the position as at 2 November 2020 at 12.00pm and refers to the planned JSS Open which has not been brought into effect.
For the rules of the Closed Job Support Scheme, please click here.
In response to the current climate we are offering a short term Covid-Support HR Package that can assist you with:-
- Support for the end of the Furlough Scheme and the start of the Job Support Scheme
- Restructuring proposals and the equality considerations to take into account
- Redundancy situations
- Employment relations issues on return to the workplace such as grievances, sensitive conduct or absence related matters
- Support where protected characteristics make normal processes more complex or higher risk
- Mentoring support for established HR teams and business owners who may be experiencing out of the ordinary HR issues
Prices will be tailored for your business according to the services you may need. This is an ideal way to spread the cost of legal fees, whilst ensuring you can support your employees in the best way possible during this difficult time.
For more information please contact us on 03333 208644 or email email@example.com.