The Closed Job Support Scheme
- AuthorLucy Miles
The Government are replacing the Furlough Scheme, ending on 31st October 2020, with the Job Support Scheme. It has been announced that businesses required to close by law can use this scheme in the following way:-
Businesses that have to close their premises due to local or national coronavirus restrictions, can claim 2/3rd of usual pay to a maximum of £2,083.33 per month. As we understand it, employers would still need to cover NIC’S and pension contributions.
Please find below additional information on the scheme for businesses forced to close by the law.
Who is eligible?
All businesses that are forced to shut by law can request the larger payment of 2/3rd salary (subject to the cap).
Rules of the scheme
- Starts 1st November 2020 (reviewed in January)
- Employees cannot be made redundant or be in their redundancy notice period whilst on the scheme
- The Government will pay a 2/3rd of the hours not worked (capped at £2,083.33 per month)
- The employer does not have to contribute
- Employers are able to top up the wages of the hours not worked at their own discretion.
- The scheme does not cover NICS or pension contributions
How to claim
- Claims can be made via Gov.uk from December 2020
- These payments will be paid monthly
Similar to the Furlough Scheme, agreement must be obtained by the employee.
The HR Services team at JCP Solicitors can offer support with this process.
For the rules of the Open Job Support Scheme, please click here.
In response to the current climate we are offering a short term Covid-Support HR Package that can assist you with:-
- Support for the end of the Furlough Scheme and the start of the Job Support Scheme
- Restructuring proposals and the equality considerations to take into account
- Redundancy situations
- Employment relations issues on return to the workplace such as grievances, sensitive conduct or absence related matters
- Support where protected characteristics make normal processes more complex or higher risk
- Mentoring support for established HR teams and business owners who may be experiencing out of the ordinary HR issues
Prices will be tailored for your business according to the services you may need. This is an ideal way to spread the cost of legal fees, whilst ensuring you can support your employees in the best way possible during this difficult time. You can read more about this package here.