Employment Tribunal Prices
Employment tribunals were set up in the 1970s to provide a speedy, informal and inexpensive forum for the resolution of employment disputes, which was accessible for employees as for employers. This remains the case today.
We are able to provide some price guidance on the cost of Unfair/Wrongful Dismissal Tribunals for both Employers and Employees.
It is difficult to provide an accurate indication of overall costs until we are aware of the complexities of your individual case. The amount of work required varies as every situation is slightly different. However, we can provide you with an idea of our prices range.
Our prices are based on our hourly rate on a time spent basis. A clear and transparent quotation will always be given to you at the outset of the matter. Should anything arise during the course of your case that could result in a price increase we would advise you upon that becoming apparent.
You should check if you have the benefit of Legal Expenses Insurance to cover legal fees before paying for them privately.
Regardless as to whether we act for you as an employee or employer, costs will range between £6,000 and £12,000 + VAT depending upon:
- The complexity of the case and whether there are substantial factual disputes between the parties
- The extent of disclosure (documents) for both parties
- The number of witnesses for both parties
- The number of days that the Tribunal will list the final hearing for
- Whether any settlement negotiations are entered into and the extent to which those may become protracted
- Whether any interim Applications need to be made or defended resulting in additional hearings
In addition to our costs, there will be Counsel’s fees to represent you at any hearings. Again, it is difficult to provide an accurate estimate of Counsel’s fees as this will depend upon the factors already outlined above but also:
- Counsel’s experience
- The extent of the listing for the final hearing and whether any preliminary hearings are required to deal with any interim applications
Counsels fees range between £1000 and £2500 + VAT per day.
It is possible that your case may require other professional disbursements such as for a medical report/expert, or medical records.
Hearings can be listed for up to 5 days or longer and the more complicated the matter the more days required, and the higher Counsel’s fees will be.
We will always advise you on the probability of success for your case and will explore alternative dispute resolution when appropriate to do so.
For more information and a more accurate quotation for your situation contact a member of our experienced team below.
To read more about the process of going to the Employment Tribunal and the timescales involved please click here.