NHS Redress Scheme

The NHS Redress Scheme, also known as the “Putting Things Right Scheme,” is a method of handling and investigating complaints about the NHS service within Wales. In NHS Redress claims, redress may consist of an apology, or a financial award of compensation of up to £25,000.00 (The limit for the NHS Redress Compensation claims).

When is compensation paid under the NHS Redress Scheme?

In order to be successful in obtaining compensation for a NHS Redress negligence claim, you will need to satisfy that there is a ‘qualifying liability’.

A qualifying liability is a two stage test, where you will need to establish that there has been:

  1. A breach of duty
    In order to satisfy this element, it will need to be established that some care or treatment a patient has received has fallen below a reasonable and accepted standard.
  2. Causation
    For this part of the test, it will need to be established that some harm has probably been caused to a patient as a result of the breach of duty.

For more information you can get in touch with one of our specialist medical negligence solicitors in South Wales or leave your details with our 24/7 live chat team and we will call you back at a convenient time. We offer a free telephone consultation where we will listen to your concerns and offer guidance on the process.


The team is very quick to respond and remain at the very heart of the work they do.

Chambers UK 2023

  • Elinor Laidlaw
      • 01792 529 626
      • View profile
  • Mei Li
      • Mei Li
      • Director & Head of Catastrophic Injury
      • 01792 529 615
      • View profile
  • Nick O'Neill
      • 02920 391917
      • View profile
  • Matthew Owen
      • 01792 529 683
      • View profile
  • Lauren Protheroe
      • 01792 525415
      • View profile
  • Thomas Rees
      • 01267 248889
      • View profile
  • Keith Thomas
      • 03333 209244
      • View profile
  • Samuel Barnes
      • 01792 525454
      • View profile
  • Clare Rees
      • 01792 529 676
      • View profile
  • Cheryl Smith
      • 02920 379561
      • View profile
  • Sam Bateman
      • 01792 529 636
      • View profile
  • Gethin John
      • 01792 529688
      • View profile
  • Marnie Novis
      • 01792 529699
      • View profile

How do I claim compensation under the NHS Redress Scheme?

1. Raise a concern with the Health Board

First you must make the Health Board aware of your concerns by raising a complaint. This can be done verbally, via email or post. We feel it is best for you to draft a letter which consists of a background to the problems a patient has received with a particular Health Board, followed by an itemised list of questions which you would like answers to. We would advise that when explaining what has happened in the letter, a broad summary only is given at this point, without going into too much detail.

At JCP Solicitors, we offer a free telephone consultation where we would be happy to give you guidance on what it would be best to include in the letter.

A Health Board is obliged to investigate any complaint which has been raised within 12 months of the date on which the matter of concern occurred.

2. Outcome of the investigation   

Once the Health Board have investigated a concern, they will provide you with a letter of response containing the outcome of their investigation. There are usually four different outcomes you may face:

  1. A qualifying liability exists.
    The Health Board would have accepted that both a breach of duty and causation is present in your case. The Health Board may consider making you an offer of redress at this point, or alternatively may need to investigate the overall harm or prognosis of a patient in order to provide a reasonable offer of redress.
  2. A qualifying liability may exist.
    The Health Board would have identified that there has been a breach of duty, however further investigation is necessary to identify where there has been injury and loss caused as a result of the breach. Part of this investigation may include jointly instructing an independent medical expert.
  3. A qualifying liability does not exist.
    The Health Board would be of the view that there has been no breach of duty in respect of your concern raised. However, this does not mean you are out of options in pursuing your claim further. Alternative options may be appropriate for you to proceed with, such as liaising with the Ombudsman, or pursuing a civil medical negligence claim.
  4. The likely value of your claim is too high.
    In these circumstances, the Health Board will not usually confirm whether they believe a qualifying liability exists or not. The Health Board will simply state that the value of your claim would exceed the £25,000.00 limit if you were successful, and therefore your concern cannot be considered under the NHS Redress Scheme. At this point it would be in your interests to discuss your case with a solicitor to consider the option of pursuing a civil medical negligence claim.

Is there a limitation period?

In medical negligence claims, there is a general limitation period of 3 years following the date you became aware that you suffered significant injury due to medical treatment. You face risk that your case will become statute barred if you do not submit your claim to the courts within this period.

Under the NHS Redress Scheme, if the Health Board identify that a qualifying liability does, or may exist, then this limitation period is paused from the date in which the Health Board first acknowledged your complaint. However, it is advisable to seek legal advice on your matter at as early a stage as possible because:

1. it is dangerous to assume that the limitation period has been paused without specific confirmation from the Local Health Board; and

2. if it turns out that a medical negligence claim needs to be brought outside the NHS Redress Scheme, we would need to carry out an investigation which would take several months. If we are approached about a case too close to the expiry of the limitation period, we may have to decline to act because there would not be enough time to carry out the investigation before it becomes necessary to issue court proceedings.

We offer a free telephone consultation and would be pleased to advise you as to whether it would be in your best interests to proceed with the complaint or to instruct a solicitor to pursue a civil medical negligence claim.   

What will this cost me?

The Health Board is under a duty to fund the cost of any legal representation for the patient. They will also cover the costs of funding any medical expert which may be necessary for the case. Therefore under the NHS Redress Scheme, there would be no cost for you to pay.

Who can represent me?

If the Health Board finds that a qualifying liability exists, or may exist, then you are entitled to legal advice from a recognised firm of solicitors with known expertise in clinical negligence, and who are accredited by the Law Society or from the Action against Medical Accidents Clinical Negligence Panel.

JCP Solicitors is proud to be part of the recognised firms, and has a dedicated team within the medical negligence department who specialise in NHS Redress claims.

Start an NHS Redress claim in South Wales

Get in touch with our medical negligence claims lawyers in South Wales now by contacting your local JCP office or use the contact form to request a call back.