Lunch and Learn: Employment Law Update - Carmarthen
This lunch and learn session, delivered by Sophie Ray – Employment Law Associate Solicitor, picks up on some of the major developments in employment law since the start of 2018, covering legislative changes and key ‘Must Know’ case law. The objective of the session is that you leave with an awareness of the more thorny and complex issues and are equipped with practical and tactical tips to address them if and when they arise in your organisation.
The hot topics discussed will include recent rulings on:
- Employment Status – Understanding an individual’s employment status is pivotal to understanding the rights she or he will enjoy at work. With the constant evolution of what the modern workplace looks like, how have recent cases determined ‘worker’ or ‘employee’ status in the gig economy and other insecure working categories?
- Working Time – In the 20th anniversary of the Working Time Regulations, how are tribunals addressing the problems around when working time rules meet modern employment practices, particularly in relation to standby time, sleep-ins and holiday pay?
- Constructive Dismissal – Does a ‘Last Straw’ act revive the right to terminate the contract and can the suggestion of a pay cut amount to a breach of implied term of mutual trust and confidence?
- Surveillance in the Workplace – Does video surveillance violate privacy rights under the European Convention on Human Rights?
- References – Are negative statements negligent?
- Termination Payments – Taxation of payments in lieu of notice
- Whistleblowing – what constitutes a protected disclosure?
This workshop is suitable for and open to:
Those dealing with HR and personnel issues in a business, both at managerial and assistant level.
These events allow for networking with others in similar roles, informal discussion with an expert in the field and the sharing of best practice with like-minded individuals.
This workshop takes place between 12:30pm - 2:00pm, is free of charge and will include a sandwich lunch.
To book your place at this event please email email@example.com or telephone 01792 525578.
Please note places are limited to two per organisation. Please contact us if you would like to discuss training for a group of 3 or more.